ineffective use of meeting time

Bound, Jim Jim.Bound at hp.com
Mon Mar 24 00:25:33 CET 2003

I do yes.

But also this affects consensus. For example when we do show of hands
and I just requested this of Margaret and Bob in ipv6 and they did not
do it.  I think its important.

1st Who read the spec then the question.

Or do not vote if you have not read the specs.

I don't care if you read all the emails if you have not read the specs
you should not get a vote in a meeting on consensus.  I would argue this
is why we revisit and revisit because we really did not have consensus
because those who want to revisit may in fact not believe.

I believe if the question is asked correctly most people will be honest
and not vote.

I predict we would be going with consensus with 20 hands at the high end
then and that should tell the chairs something too.  I know of three
people who voted last week on something very important who not only did
not read the specs but did not follow the email.  I went up and asked
each of them after the meeting (not right after the meeting but offline
later).  I asked them then why did you vote.  They said they had the
jist of things.  I just walked away and when out of sight shook my head.
I though what if some doctor or soldier is dependent on this spec
tomorrow and bad stuff happens, and we thought we had consensus.  Next
mail thread. Running code the final check.

/jim