The "late surprise" problem

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Sat Mar 22 18:07:33 CET 2003

> Ted and Brian are both right - this is a good thing to do,
> but not because it prevents late surprises, and we need to make
> sure we don't replace the "IESG is the only sane people at IETF"
> issue with "IESG + SIR are the only sane people at IETF".

almost everyone at IETF is sane.  some people see the big picture
better than the details, others vice versa.  we need both kinds of
people.

currently WGs supply the details, but hardly anybody thinks about the
big picture.  IESG is supposed to make sure that both the big picture
and the details are sane.  but since WGs don't have any early input
regarding the big picture, IESG is stuck trying to fix big picture
problems at the last minute.

Keith