ineffective use of meeting time

Ted Lemon mellon at nominum.com
Fri Mar 21 11:42:26 CET 2003

> we have precious little face-to-face meeting time.  despite this, we
> spend the vast majority of our meetings in presentations of material
> that could (in most cases) easily be published as internet-drafts and
> read by participants at other times.

I'm not sure whether to agree wholeheartedly or disagree feebly.   One
of the brilliant strengths of IETF meetings is that people get together
and discuss things, and you're completely right that this doesn't
happen in the WG meetings.   What usually winds up happening is that
the interested parties run into each other at the WG meetings and then
spin off into private meetings to talk about details.

I think this is actually a feature - the meetings provide a catalyst
for people getting together, and the private meetings provide a
high-bandwidth synchronization mechanism.   I'm not sure what we would
change that would have the result you're hoping for.   For example, I
had a wonderful discussion on Monday afternoon with a couple of fellow
IETFers about a protocol in which we have a mutual interest, but the
discussion lasted five hours.   I don't see how it would be possible to
have that discussion in a two-hour WG meeting, unfortunately.

Also, WG meetings are usually populated by dozens or even hundreds of
people, so the tight communication you get with five people in a room
together just can't happen in that context.   I think that WG meetings
serve to provide some rough synchronization, but I don't see how they
could be modified to provide anything more than that.

Do you think the real problem is with WG meetings, or is it more that
these tighter meetings don't always happen, or don't always include
everybody who ought to be there?