ineffective use of meeting time

Marc Blanchet Marc.Blanchet at viagenie.qc.ca
Fri Mar 21 13:39:23 CET 2003

I have to say that another problem of ietf is that people are always
interupting people presenting. Often I saw people going to the mike during
a presentation, asking questions, making comments, that are addressed in
the next slide. I saw this many times again this week.
Presentations could be much shorter if people stop interupting, and let
having a discussion at the end of the presentation.

my 2 canadian cents.

Marc.

-- vendredi, mars 21, 2003 12:59:35 -0500 Keith Moore <moore at cs.utk.edu>
wrote/a ecrit:

> I just realized that the problem-statement WG is currently providing a
> very good example of one of our biggest problems with the way we do work:
>
> we have precious little face-to-face meeting time.  despite this, we
> spend the vast majority of our meetings in presentations of material that
> could (in most cases) easily be published as internet-drafts and read by
> participants at other times.
>
> the one thing we can do in meetings that we can't do online is discuss
> things face-to-face, and take advantage of the increased fidelity and
> bandwidth of communication in meatspace.  this is often incredibly useful
> for reducing dissent and promoting closure. but when we try to do this in
> meetings, we are told that the agenda is full with speakers and that we
> are already behind schedule.
>
> Keith

Marc Blanchet
Viagénie