mailing list size/activity

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Wed Mar 12 17:44:55 CET 2003

RJ,

Monday, March 10, 2003, 7:08:18 AM, you wrote:

RA> On Monday, Mar 10, 2003, at 07:53 America/Montreal, Scott Bradner wrote:
>>> not that I doubt the general trend, but is this size typical? for the
>>> WG mailing lists I've run, the number of subscribers was
>>> closer to 100-200.
>>
>> two data points from the lists that I manage
>>       tsvwg - 650
>>       ieprep - 234

RA> Another datum is that, for example, maybe 10-15% [1] of the subscribers
RA> to the IEprep list have ever posted a note to that list.  It would

We should pay far more attention to working group participation, both
levels of activity and number of participants.

I believe we have fallen into a pattern of looking at these in the
early days of a working group, and then largely ignoring massive
fall-offs.

This means that later-stage work often has no meaingful range of input
and no meaningful review.

It also often means that it will have no meaningful adoption or use.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker at brandenburg.com>