mailing list size/activity

RJ Atkinson rja at extremenetworks.com
Mon Mar 10 08:08:18 CET 2003

On Monday, Mar 10, 2003, at 07:53 America/Montreal, Scott Bradner wrote:
>> not that I doubt the general trend, but is this size typical?  for the
>> WG mailing lists I've run, the number of subscribers was
>> closer to 100-200.
>
> two data points from the lists that I manage
> 	tsvwg - 650
> 	ieprep - 234

Another datum is that, for example, maybe 10-15% [1] of the subscribers
to the IEprep list have ever posted a note to that list.  It would
not startle me to hear that that percentage is relatively "normal"
for an IETF WG list.

Note that I don't claim this by itself is a problem.  It sure is
interesting though.

Ran

[1] This value is a guess, not a measured value.