Barriers to consensus formation

John C Klensin john-ietf at jck.com
Fri Mar 7 07:58:24 CET 2003

Hi.

I just commented on a problem on the IPR list.  It has been
repeatedly observed as an IETF process issue, but doesn't seem
to be reflected in the document, so it is probably worth
repeating here. Ironically, it seems to affect this WG as well
-- a check of the archives shows a rather large number of
postings by a fairly small number of people.

To quote my explanation from the other note (slightly edited)...

	... one of the problems with the IETF process -- or any
	process that attempts to work through issues on an open
	mailing list -- is that it is possible to exclude all
	but the most dedicated participants by simply creating
	an overwhelming message volume.  When we do it to
	ourselves in the IETF, it is almost always inadvertent,
	but it still results in a consensus determined largely
	by the combination of those who stay in because they
	have axes to grind with those who have too much time on
	their hands (plus a few long-suffering co-chairs and
	editors).    It isn't a good way to make progress or to
	get answers that all of us can trust.

Extreme, and occasionally deliberate, versions of this in a WG
context tend to produce consensus by exhaustion -- people rant,
rave, and nit-pick until everyone else just drop out, leaving
those who initiated the tactic to claim consensus.  But forcing
most of the potential participants in a discussion out through
the accident of excessive volume can be equally destructive.

      john

john