Definition of power and responsibility

Margaret Wasserman mrw at windriver.com
Wed Mar 5 08:36:31 CET 2003

>What has (historically) been missing was an "IESG Charter" document.
>Such documents (normally issued as BCPs with the full process that
>implies) constitute the formal delineation and grant of powers by
>the IETF Community to the body that is chartered.
>
>It appears that this is in the process of being remedied.

Harald published one, but I haven't heard of any IETF-wide
activity to discuss and/or approve it.  I personally thought
that what Harald wrote was pretty good, in terms of documenting
the IESGs current role (and that's how he billed it).

Someone just mentioned that it is being discussed on the
mailing list of a closed WG.  Is it being discussed in any
active WG?

Nothing has been done (that I've seen, anyway) to determine
if IETF community has consensus about an IESG charter.  So, an
IESG charter is not, IMO, close to finished.

Perhaps we are holding off on the IESG charter process to see
if it is identified as a need in the problem statement and
problem process documents?

Margaret