General comment on draft-ietf-problem-statement-00.txt

Mark Allman mallman at grc.nasa.gov
Tue Mar 4 09:55:23 CET 2003

> indeed.  so how do we get wgs to produce production-quality output
> and get production-quality ietf last call review?

The analogy I have made before and I like is that you treat
documents as a university does a thesis.  The WG (student) produces
it and the WG chair (advisor) ensures that it is baked and ready
before passing it along to the IESG (committee).  If the committee
does not sign it then both the WG and **more importantly the WG
chair** failed to do his/her job.  WG chairs with high failure rates
get replaced -- and in a somewhat objective fashion (not "we don't
feel you're doing a good job", but "three quarters of the stuff you
send is not ready, sorry, but the iesg doesn't have time for that
kind of failure rate").

allman

--
Mark Allman -- BBN/NASA GRC -- http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~mallman/