Definition of power and responsibility [Re: Delegation of power(wasRE: Section 2.4 ofdraft-ietf-problem-statement-00.txt)]

john.loughney at nokia.com john.loughney at nokia.com
Tue Mar 4 12:53:28 CET 2003

Hi Brian,

I agree with you in principle, but I think the paragraph below
looks like solutions work.

> So, can we stop talking about either excessive concentration
> of power, or about delegation, and start talking about the need
> for clear definitions of what powers and responsibilities the
> IETF grants to *each* level in our structure?

What I propose is:

 I think we should document in the problem statement that is
 a perceived concentration of power (or lack of delegation of
 power) with, perhaps, some short text about effects of such
 a feeling.  I think that this is good to document, without
 finger pointing.

 Second, I think that there needs to be documentation to the effect
 that definitions about the powers & responsibilities of different
 parts of the IETF (IAB, IESG, WG chairs, individual participants)
 are unclear.

I think if we can clarify some of these issues, we may be along
a path of improving the IETF.

br,
John