General comment on draft-ietf-problem-statement-00.txt

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Mon Mar 3 10:03:09 CET 2003

> Aren't we basically saying that the problem is:
>
>   Too high a proportion of the documents considered by the IESG
>   contain serious problems, detected very late in the review process.

I'd certainly accept this as a valid description of a problem.

> So, the IESG is doing its job (detecting and kicking back faulty
> documents) but it doesn't scale because too many of them require
> too much attention.

IESG is _trying_ to do its job, but it doesn't scale.

> Another problem statement is
>
>   Document quality control early in the WG process allows too high
>   a proportion of documents to proceed with serious problems.

I suspect you meant "Lack of document quality control..."
in which case, I'd agree with that one also.

Another statement:

Failure of WGs to understand the impact of their work on concerns
external to the WG, allows documents to proceed with serious problems
that will typically not be identified until Last Call or IESG review.

(which isn't quite the same as document quality, at least as I
understand the term.)

Keith