appeal mechanisms was Re: Ombuds-process

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Mon Jun 30 10:21:09 CEST 2003

] The problem here is that there is an incentive conflict:
] The people in the WGs who write documents by and large simply
] want them passed. There are some people, including most (all)
] of the IESG who believe that the WGs are not putting out
] work of sufficient quality. In order to change this situation,
] the WG's incentives have to change.

true.  but one way to change the incentives is to change how WGs operate,
e.g. require them to do widespread review of goals and design documents
before writing the protocol.  I can also imagine making WGs responsible
for reviewing and responding to all Last Call comments.  of course IESG would
have to make sure that the WG had followed the new procedure, that the

and this is too new in my mind and too much into solution space to
supply details right now, but I think it ends up having WGs operate
very differently than they do now, and the chair's role also being
very different.