appeal mechanisms was Re: Ombuds-process

Eric Rescorla ekr at rtfm.com
Sun Jun 29 23:26:55 CEST 2003

Keith Moore <moore at cs.utk.edu> writes:
> ] If they're not going to do that, how do you propose that "we" insist that
> ] the WGs make the IESG's life easy?
>
> IESG's role has to stay the same, but we need to arrange things so that IESG
> rarely feels a need to significantly push back on a document after Last Call.
I don't see any way to arrange this other than the IESG
rejecting documents and holding firm. I'd be glad to hear
your suggestions, however.

The problem here is that there is an incentive conflict:
The people in the WGs who write documents by and large simply
want them passed. There are some people, including most (all)
of the IESG who believe that the WGs are not putting out
work of sufficient quality. In order to change this situation,
the WG's incentives have to change. The only people who can
make their incentives change are those who have the power to
block their documents.

-Ekr

--
[Eric Rescorla                                   ekr at rtfm.com]