Ombuds-process

avri avri at apocalypse.org
Sat Jun 28 11:43:30 CEST 2003

On lördag, jun 28, 2003, at 04:34 Asia/Seoul, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> As a rule, I think we need to be very careful about generalizing from
> a single person's experience to the general case.  Phil is not alone
> in doing this; I've seen it done in others within the IETF context,
> and I've spoken out against this practice of taking a single incident
> and generalizing it to condemn an individual or a system has being
> unfair and unjustified.  So please don't take this as an outright
> objection to Phil's comments, but just as a cautionery note.

while i did use Phill's comments as entry into the topic, it is not my
only reason for proposing an addition to the problem statement.
as i argued elsewhere, i think there are many people who have trouble
with the process.  i have had heard many tales of woe about the process
and about unfair treatment from WG chairs and ADs and how there was
nothing
to be done about it.  few of these have ever resulted in appeals.  does
this
mean they were all unfounded or all settled amicably later behind the
scenes?  that is not what my anecdotal evidence leads me to believe.  i
think
in most cases those complaining are wrong, but without an easy and
visibly fair
way  for the complaint to made and brought to a conclusion, it remains
a wound
in the system and sometimes achieves greater significance then perhaps
warranted.

a.