MAJOR ISSUE: WG formation process

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Fri Jun 27 21:08:19 CEST 2003

] I'd be interested if anyone has looked at the time it takes to get a WG
] going -- that is, the time between when the first BOF occurs and when the
] announcement of WG chartering occurs.  If our focus is timeliness and
] relevance, then this also needs to occur in a timely way.

I agree that WG formation time is a valid issue, but I strongly disagree that
it's meaningful to measure times from first BOF to chartering.  A lot of BOFs
are held for very dubious ideas that take considerable time for refinement
before it's reasonable to even consider chartering WGs for them.