MAJOR ISSUE: WG formation process

Bernard Aboba aboba at internaut.com
Thu Jun 26 23:15:35 CEST 2003

Having looked through the archives, I haven't seen much discussion on this
topic, so I thought I'd bring it up. Is there a "problem" here?

I'd be interested if anyone has looked at the time it takes to get a WG
going -- that is, the time between when the first BOF occurs and when the
announcement of WG chartering occurs.  If our focus is timeliness and
relevance, then this also needs to occur in a timely way.  In general, I'm
curious as to the minimum, average, and maximum times that is required for
WG formation and how this compares to say, the time it takes to issue the
first document once the WG is chartered.

Of course, comments on other aspects of the WG formation process -
predictability, transparency -- are also welcome.