rough consensus (was Re: "trouble maker")

Brian E Carpenter brian at hursley.ibm.com
Thu Jun 26 20:44:23 CEST 2003

Phill,

I don't see the relevance, since we all participate as individuals
in the IETF, but since you mention it, here are some facts.

ISOC went to a great deal of trouble to ensure that the .org registry
is operated independently of ISOC, by an independent non-profit corporation,
with a for-profit subcontractor actually operating the machinery. That
suncontractor might be considered a competitor of other registry
operators.

This was very carefully designed to avoid conflict of interest for
ISOC. I was one of the ISOC Board Members who insisted on this.

  Brian