"trouble maker"

James Seng jseng at pobox.org.sg
Wed Jun 25 06:30:32 CEST 2003

Currently, I am involved in forming a TC in OASIS myself with the help
of Patrick Gannon and Karl Best so I have went thru OASIS process in
certain level of detail. (We going to have our first TC in Sept when
Patrick coming to town). It is probably much similar to the W3C or
Unicode Consortium with their paid memberships and voting rules.

My other experiences in standard work are limited the Singapore IT
Standard Council (I chaired the PKI WG here) and also JTC1/SC27 and SC2
where there are even more rules & procedures to follow.

What I learn from these experiences is that every standard groups have
different level of formality. The standardisation processes are also
very different and more importantly, the behind-the-scene work to get
your idea across also varies greatly.

wg chair abuse? I seen it in IETF and I seen it in JTC1. But I also see
successful work done by IETF and JTC1.

So, I would hestiant to say this organisation is better then another.
They are ..erm.. just different.

But of all organisations I been involved so far, I enjoy IETF dynamic
culture most.

Good luck in OASIS...maybe we see each another there.

-James Seng