"trouble maker"

Melinda Shore mshore at cisco.com
Sun Jun 22 19:41:51 CEST 2003

> According to the charter of this group at, the group are looking at the
> problems with "the ways IETF operates". This is not limited to structure
> and processes only.

[Taking off my chair hat]

Of course, but it seems clear to me that the problem isn't
that there are a few obstructive people but that we don't
have (or don't use) mechanisms to deal with that very well.
I don't think that there's much that we can do about human
nature or human motivation, but there are things we can do
about how we operate.  For example, I've seen exactly what
you describe (repeated re-opening of closed issues) and I
think that if WG chairs refuse allow decisions to be
revisited without new information or a new argument being
presented that problem can be addressed without
fundamentally re-engineering human nature.  I'd strongly
prefer to see this problem you're describing, which I
absolutely agree is a problem, framed in terms of the IETF
rather than in terms of the individual.

Melinda