MAJOR ISSUE: "Concentration of power"

Basavaraj.Patil at nokia.com Basavaraj.Patil at nokia.com
Fri Jun 20 14:18:15 CEST 2003

Hello,

The issue of "concentration of power" seems to be taking on far more
complex connotations than it really is.

Concentration of power means just that. A very few *select* people in
the IETF wield the enormous power to decide what in their opinion is
right for standardization and what is not. The select few get to
decide what WGs are created, what BoFs are approved, and what WGs are
terminated etc.

As in any organization there needs to be a system of checks and
balances. At this time there does not seem to be any such for the
power of the IESG. That is what the key issue is. Its okay to have a
body that is responsible for all the tasks that the IESG handles
today. But remember the old adage: "Power corrupts and absolute
power... "

I do not believe that "concentration of power" has anything to do with
classes and trusted networks. I completely agree with James that this
idea of classes etc. is indeed a red herring.

-Basavaraj