MAJOR ISSUE: "Concentration of power"

john.loughney at nokia.com john.loughney at nokia.com
Thu Jun 19 16:08:11 CEST 2003

Hi all,

I agree with Harald's 'slant' as well, but not with the
wording which Brian has also commented. In particular:

> >    ...this may be because the
> >    'ruling class' has also come to share a cultural outlook which
> >    matches the dominant ethos of the IETF.

The problem I have with the above statement is that it is implying that
there is a dominant ethos.  Refering to a definition of 'ethos':

 The character, sentiment, or disposition of a community or people,
 considered as a natural endowment; the spirit which actuates manners
and customs;

I would suggest that several folks actually have 'accused' the IESG
of believing that their cultural outlook IS the dominant ethos of the
IETF (said accusers implying that the IESG's outlook does not match
the outlook of the rank & file IETFer).  Therefore, I humbly request
that you strike the sentence as it is potentially loaded with implications
which there may not be a consensus for.  Also, in light of the fact
that the IETF's mission is not clear, I am unsure if we could agree
on the IETF's ethos either.

However, I think what might have been trying to be said about the
percieved concentration of power is that 'birds of a feather flock
together' ...  The other side of the coin may be to say that concentration
of the gene pool is not benefitial for long-term survial.

br,
John