Two document stages: Proposed and Full

Ralph Droms rdroms at cisco.com
Tue Jun 10 20:04:25 CEST 2003

At 03:49 PM 6/10/2003 -0700, Dave Crocker wrote:
>[...]
>A separate point that Marshall Rose has been good at pointing out is,
>essentially, a marketing issue for a specification: If it's been
>implemented, it is much more difficult for people to make abstract
>claims about failings of the spec. Hence it is more difficult to reject
>a request for Proposed status.

I agree, and I wrote earlier:

  My recent experience with specifications in the dhc WG
  has been that "running (prototype) code" trumps
  (potentially ad infinitum) speculative discussion about
  whether the protocol is correct and completely
  specified.

Running code can't, of course, address *every* claim about
the failing of a spec.  But it does rule out a lot of
claims...

So, it seems we need some way to allow and enforce implementation
experience.

- Ralph