time-to-approve etc. [Re: Trusting the IESG to manage the reform process (was:Re:Doingthe Right Things?)]

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Jun 10 10:24:09 CEST 2003

> I also believe that the feedback from the IESG could be offered
> more openly (perhaps by mailing it to the pertinent WG?) which
> would allow the WG to put pressure on the chairs and authors to
> correct the problems.  Right now, it can appear to a WG that a
> document has "disappeared" in the IESG, when actually it is
> waiting for updates from the authors.

definitely agree.  and one tries to do that.

but it is not infrequent that a document has one or more issues
where couching them in terms which would not embarrass the authors
if made very publicly (and remember, we have authors from cultures
with varying sensitivity to such things) would tax the talents of
marcus aurelius let alone the overloaded engineers with which we
staff the iesg.  while this is not the majority case, it does mean
we should not make a hard and fast rule.

randy