ISSUE: Goal of problem-statement document

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Fri Jun 6 17:55:23 CEST 2003

--On fredag, juni 06, 2003 10:47:01 -0400 Melinda Shore <mshore at cisco.com>
wrote:

>> SUGGESTED RESOLUTION: Change this section to say that the
>> document attempts to be a basis for consensus on the root
>> causes.
>
> One of the things that's of concern here is an interest in
> trying to find ways to make progress in the absence of
> consensus about each identified problem, the dependency
> analysis, and a ranking.  We absolutely do believe that the
> document will provide guidance, but it's reasonable to
> suspect that it's likely that the only way we'll be able to
> reach real consensus on some of it is if we dilute the
> discussion to the point it isn't useful.

I think we do have consensus on a fair number of points (including the "no
explicit agreed mission", for instance) - I'd like to probe and try to
refine some more of these points before declaring that this document is "as
good as we can make it".

We might quickly come to consensus about what we can't come to consensus on
:-)