pausable explanation for the Document Series

Charlie Perkins charliep at IPRG.nokia.com
Fri Jun 6 08:52:17 CEST 2003

Hello Keith,

You're using nasty words like "accuse".

Keith Moore wrote:

>>You seem to assume that the customers are going to sit around waiting.
>>
>>Most will buy a system that works,
>>

>most will buy a system without knowing whether it works or not, and pull their
>hair out when they have trouble getting it to work in practice, and then guess
>about who is to blame, and make arbitrary demands about who has to fix it that
>have nothing to do with the actual cause of the problem.

Life sucks that way.  It helps to buy from reputable vendors.  Industrial
product managers with a habit of success tend to do better than you
portray.

>>And that's where recent IETF protocol efforts may be heading.
>>

>NOBODY has said anything about requiring things to be perfect, so stop
>accusing people of that.  What has been repeatedly suggested is that the criteria
>for maturity levels should be better matched with industry expectation and
>IETF energy levels.  What's wrong with that?

But when you hear that industry has expectations about timeliness
you seem to go nonlinear.  Furthermore, I suggest that IETF processes
demotivate and drain the energy of otherwise enthusiastic IETF engineers.

Regards,
Charlie P.