IETF mission (RE: pausable explanation for the Document Series)

Spencer Dawkins spencer at mcsr-labs.org
Thu Jun 5 13:12:30 CEST 2003

Ummm... this looks like another self-inflicted wound - in my
understanding of the plan, full Standard would be common,
and STDs can contain multiple RFCs, so that would be more
common, and an AS could easily be attached to a STD, so
ASes would be more easily visible.

But we run the Internet on PSes, don't use STDs in common
conversation, and have no way to tie ASes to PSes in a
visible way.

I remember, a number of years ago, carefully understanding
ASes in 2026 and then deciding that we apparently pay little
or no attention to the notion, and forgetting everything I'd
read about them.

("what OTHER problems have we already solved once?")

Spencer