Cutting through the accumulating sludge (was: Re: Doing the Right Things? and/or WG Quality Processes WG)

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Tue Jun 3 13:01:52 CEST 2003

> intel may be the most successful.  one key to this success is not
> touching anything that does not have at least a 40% margin.  i.e.,
> they say "no" to a lot of bright ideas.  i do not believe that we
> have the culture to do that.

of course IETF doesn't measure success in dollars, but paying explicit
attention to risk, need, and resource consumption would be a good idea.  seems
like we would do well to avoid WGs with high risk and low need, as well as
those with high resource consumption and low need.

at least when I was an AD there seemed to be a widespread belief that IETF was
required to take on any working group for which there was a constituency.
people need to understand that this is unreasonable.

there are always more bright ideas than can be investigated.