English (was Re: A few hums)

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Mon Jul 28 10:01:55 CEST 2003

RFC 3184, "

--On 24. juli 2003 06:54 -0700 Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

> if we think we can solve the global multi-language/culture problem,
> why the heck don't we get real and work on world hunger and peace?
>
> let's face it, we live in a multi-lingual world, embarrassingly,
> american has become the lingua franca of our technology.  there
> are some simple (but hard) things folk can do to make themselves
> easier to understand, speak slowly and clearly, use no idioms,
> have clear slides which help folk read along, etc.  i would wager
> that there is some nice web page on this if we googled correctly.
>
> beyond that, yes it's a problem, but we ain't gonna fix it.
>
> randy

RFC 3184, "IETF guidelines for conduct".

>    1. IETF participants extend respect and courtesy to their colleagues
>       at all times.
>
>       IETF participants come from diverse origins and backgrounds and
>       are equipped with multiple capabilities and ideals.  Regardless of
>       these individual differences, participants treat their colleagues
>       with respect as persons--especially when it is difficult to agree
>       with them.  Seeing from another's point of view is often
>       revealing, even when it fails to be compelling.
>
>       English is the de facto language of the IETF, but it is not the
>       native language of many IETF participants.  Native English
>       speakers attempt to speak clearly and a bit slowly and to limit
>       the use of slang in order to accommodate the needs of all
>       listeners.

The EDU team (result of the EDU BOF) is taking up the issue of making
guidelines available - both for non-North American people to participate in
the IETF and for North American people to make it easier for non-North
American to participate. Both are needed, I think :-)