English (was Re: A few hums)

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Thu Jul 24 13:45:07 CEST 2003

Randy,

RB> if we think we can solve the global multi-language/culture problem,
RB> why the heck don't we get real and work on world hunger and peace?

1. No one said "solve".

2. Thanks. Your responding with insulting hyperbole provides an
excellent demonstration of one of the "cultural" concerns that needs to
be worked on within the IETF. It is especially helpful to see that sort
of supportive contribution from an Area Director.

RB> let's face it, we live in a multi-lingual world, embarrassingly,
RB> american has become the lingua franca of our technology.  there
RB> are some simple (but hard) things folk can do to make themselves
RB> easier to understand, speak slowly and clearly, use no idioms,
RB> have clear slides which help folk read along, etc.

Oh.  Nice of you to acknowledge that perhaps some things can be done.

If everyone had your prior knowledge and distinctive sensitivity to
linguistic and cultural issues, then the topic would not have come up.

I guess it is ok to remind people to turn off mobile phones and pagers,
but not to provide them with guidance about a speaking style that might
be helpful to non-native English listeners.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker at brandenburg.com>