English (was Re: A few hums)

Bob Wyman bob at wyman.us
Thu Jul 24 12:07:09 CEST 2003

Sorry for entering solution space... However, it seems to me that it
would make sense at future IETF meetings to do at least two things:
	1. Provide a specific Sunday orientation for ESL attendees or
add an optional "for-ESL folk" extension to the traditional orientation.
While much of the content would be similar to the normal orientation
meeting, this meeting would go at a slower pace and encourage "bonding"
between attendees. If people with language difficulties can hook up with
others at the meeting, they may be able to support each other in
resolving confusions as the meetings progress.
	2. Designate a specific area as a meeting place for ESL and/or
non-English speaking attendees that would be open throughout the
meeting. The idea would be to encourage people to go there to meet
others in with similar problems and also for people who were willing to
provide assistance to ESL attendees to have a way of meeting people who
needed help.

		bob wyman