The IETF's problems

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Tue Jul 22 19:17:28 CEST 2003

> What I don't get is why the IESG should be involved in managing the
> wgs in the first place.

because, left to themselves, WGs will happily create things that
don't satisfy various requirements (such as security), or which
interfere with other parties' interests (like zeroconf or nat WGs
trying to fundamentally change the way IP works), and then the WGs will
get very annoyed when they only learn *after* they think they're done
why IESG (for quite valid reasons) refuses to approve their documents
and their work isn't even fixable.

what I don't get is why anyone could think that WGs should be allowed to
make standards without some broad-based oversight.