The IETF's problems

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Sun Jul 20 19:38:45 CEST 2003

On zondag, jul 20, 2003, at 18:24 Europe/Amsterdam, Keith Moore wrote:

>> How stubborn can one person be?

> yes, how stubborn can one person be?

> just because a government passes a law doesn't mean IETF should expend
> its
> energy to try to help them.

There is a little more going on than just one government passing a law.

And it's certainly not about helping governments, it's about helping
service providers and smaller vendors. Cisco is trying to do the
responsible thing here by coming to the IETF to standardize this stuff.

> now, can we please get back to the topic of this list?

This is a prime example of the topic of this list: the IETF is unable
to determine what it should work on and what it shouldn't work on in a
satisfactory way.