The IETF's problems

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Sat Jul 19 14:23:56 CEST 2003

On vrijdag, jul 18, 2003, at 20:35 Europe/Amsterdam, Keith Moore wrote:

>>  But when even large vendors are unable to get protocols that
>> they feel is important (and have implemented or are implementing)
>> "through" IETF, there is a problem.

> Let's get this straight right now.

Yes, let's. Because whichever party is suffering from the misconception
here, the result is the same: some people are unhappy with what the
IETF does because their expectations don't match reality.

> IETF DOES NOT exist to do what large vendors what to do.

I was talking about working on protocols, which isn't the same as "do
what large vendors want to do". If people in general and large vendors
in particular come to the IETF wanting to work on something within the
IETF, and this work falls within the areas of interest of the IETF,
then it would be a very good idea that the IETF indeed work on this.
Obviously in some cases the work will be abandoned if the IETF doesn't
adopt it, which must be the result "the IETF" is after in these cases.
More often, the work will continue but the resulting protocol will be
of a lower quality, and if the protocol is even a little successful,
the IETF has to do something with it later anyway. Also, if the
protocol is subjected to the IETF editor it goes through the IESG
anyway, so not working on something often doesn't even save the IESG
any work. Whether it saves working groups work is immaterial as just
about everything that happens in a working group is done on a voluntary
basis.

Last but not least, frustrating people that come to the IETF damages
the reputation of the IETF and will drive people away in frustration.
This is already happening. (Again, this includes large vendors and not
just "hobbyist protocol designers".)

> And large vendors are not reliable indicators of what is good for the
> Internet.

Like _anyone_ can predict what is going to be good for the internet
anyway. Large vendors are reasonable indicators of what is wanted in
the internet and what's going to happen in the internet, though.
They're implementing the stuff most boxes connected to the net will be
running a couple of years from now.