Straw process outline for dealing with structural and practic

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Fri Jul 18 23:09:17 CEST 2003

On 18 Jul 2003 at 11:18, Scott Bradner wrote:

> I think this proposal combines many of the suggestions from Harald's
> slide

Really? I am not aware that anybody proposed such a model yesterday as
described in Elwyn's mail.

that did not get consensus - I do not think it is a good idea
> to do anything so formal at this time

Our proposal emerged as a response to the problem working group meeting.
While there was support for the issue document and the short term
improvements of the process document, we seemed to get stuck in a dead
end with regard to those problems that affect the IETF's structure. People
clearly didn't like the idea to delegate those structural issues to a working
group. Or so we thought. That is why we tried to develop a different model,
which would be, perhaps, less cumbersome and also integrate more people
than a wg. Equipped with clear deadlines, our model would lead to quicker
results. Results that reflect only those issues, which attract contributions from
the IETF.
With this plan, we thought, we avoid frustration about the fact that not much
has changed since Yokohama.

Now, some people say they want to see some visible changes soon while
others caution about moving too fast. Hmmm, is there a non frustrating path
out of this?

> lets solicit ideas (as IDs) over the next 60 (or 30) days then discuss
> them for a fixed time (e.g. 30 days) and see where we are at that point.

Actually, Scott, this is not entirely different from what our model proposes. Is
it the Synthesis and Answer Panel, that you find too formal?

Jeanette