Jabber and Handicapped access - its not a choice but a necessity - Was: Hearing and Speaking Problems for...

todd glassey todd.glassey at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jul 17 08:35:25 CEST 2003

Scott
Jabber style (chat) access is not a choice but probably rather a legal
necessity to maintain the IETF's being open to all.
The other issue is how the people in a meeting are supposed to
relate/Inter-relate to the Jabber based speaker??? I suggest we ask Jorge on
this regarding the ADA and other issues that the IETF's processes may not
meet yet.

As to the jabber concepts themselves, my feeling is that this is not just a
Jabber issue for people remotely accessing the meetings, but rather its
about 'Handicapped Access' to the Standards Process, and there are any
number of legal reasons for insisting on/mandating this ...

So maybe the real question here is to answer this then - how would we allow
someone who was mute (handicapped)  from some vocal-chord trauma or throat
cancer, etc. to participate and to participate equally whether they are
there or online.

Todd