Fixed font v multiple fonts

James Kempf kempf at docomolabs-usa.com
Mon Jul 7 08:48:12 CEST 2003

IMHO, the font's don't make a big difference.

One thing that does is the inability to do good graphics. It is extremely
difficult, almost impossible, to include graphs of data in IETF documents.
This makes it very hard to present data derived from experiments as
underlying support for a particular engineering approach to a protocol
design. I think this might help to re-enforce the tendency in IETF for
people's opinions on technical matters to be more important than
experimental data. Also, good quality graphics of system designs are
difficult to do with ASCII, ASCII drawing packages not widthstanding. Though
the correlation is somewhat more problemantic, I wonder if this doesn't
contribute some to the tendency in IETF to avoid looking at the larger scale
system aspects of a particular problem, and concentrate more on the point
protocol aspects.  The premise here is that the difficulty in communicating
the result has a tendency to supress the conversation.

For a good example of both these effects, see the IKEv2 draft. While reading
the draft, I found myself looking for some graphs of data to support the
redesign of IKE, and some good system diagrams explaining the underlying
system and protocol flows in all the cases that are discussed in the text.
The few ASCII diagrams in the document are utterly inadequate, IMHO, for
conveying the complexity that the protocol is trying to capture.

            jak