ADs who are also WG chairs

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Sun Jul 6 14:47:13 CEST 2003

On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 10:06:22AM -0400, Melinda Shore wrote:
> > It is absolutely relevant. If you can find an organisation which is not
> > restrictive in its membership AND at the same time deal with consensus
> > using voting mechanism, then let us know.
>
> This discussion has parked itself in solution space and
> should be moved to the solutions mailing list
> (http://eikenes.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/solutions)
> or, at least, not continue here.  Our task is to identify
> and sort through problems without presuming solutions.

The first question is whether there is a problem.  Phillip
Hallam-Baker has expressed (repeated, through many e-mail messages)
unhappiness which he has interpreted as problems in the IETF.

I'd like to know if these concerns are shared by others in the
community, or not.

An any experienced working group chair knows, just because one or even
a few people are making a huge amount of noise on a list, might mean
that there is a problem that few others are seeing --- but it might
also just mean that those folks are a minority opinion that are the
other side of a "rough consensus".

						- Ted