RFC bandwith, packet size and latency

Henning Schulzrinne hgs at cs.columbia.edu
Mon Jan 27 21:56:43 CET 2003

I've gathered some additional data on the RFC publication process and
imported the data into EDAS (a publication management system that I
wrote). The results are at
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/internet/rfc.shtml

The results differ slightly from the earlier ones since I was able to
match additional RFCs by their I-D tag. However, the basic gist is the
same and the trend has taken a large tick upwards in 2002: the average
delay for RFCs published in 2002 was 2 years and 2 months. (The maximum
was 5 years and 2 months!) As discussed in more detail on the web page,
this estimate is likely low, since there seems to be an increasing
tendency in some working groups to let a draft go through a number of
draft-personal stages before becoming draft-ietf-wg. If the draft
changed its title during that time, I cannot match it and thus only
measure the time from draft-ietf.

As others have pointed out, it's amazing how painful gathering this data
is. Since everything is in more-or-less random text format, with
occasional changes, parsing is prone to errors. I did a few sanity
checks, but this is a good project for a forensical statistician.

Also, in recent years, even the IMR is incomplete in its I-D list, so
that I have no data on a number of -00 records. This explains some of
missing data points (where the number of published RFCs is much larger
than the number of measured RFCs).

It would be trivial for the RFC editor to gather the "first draft" time
from the authors. (This would also be helpful for IPR issues.)

If somebody wants to play with the data, let me know and I can give them
SQL access. (No, not Microsoft SQL...)

Henning