Stringency (RE: 12 problems)

Henning Schulzrinne hgs at cs.columbia.edu
Thu Jan 16 06:18:26 CET 2003

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/internet/IMR has the data and the .tcl
scripts. The measurements I reported were:

year number of RFCs sampled  avg. delay (months)
1993 31                      5.5
1994 80                      8.4
1995 61                     10.5
1996 96                     12.4
1997 103                    14.4
1998 147                    19.6
1999 157                    19.8
2000 158                    24.2

Things change a bit on the tail end if we ignore all RFCs with duplicate
titles, where association with I-Ds is likely to be iffy:

1993 27 5.6
1994 73 8.0
1995 50 8.8
1996 90 12.2
1997 98 12.9
1998 123 15.0
1999 147 18.8
2000 139 19.1

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/internet/id-rfcyear.png
   Number of RFCs and I-Ds published each year, based on IMR reports from
the year 1991 and later

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs/internet/rfcyear.png
   Number of RFCs published, also ratio to IETF attendance
(Ignore the year 2000 dip, as that's based on year-to-date statistics)