A question about the role of the IESG

john.loughney at nokia.com john.loughney at nokia.com
Thu Jan 9 03:16:44 CET 2003

Hi Brian,

Thanks for you reply, I basically agree with you and your points are
entirely sensible, one note however:

> > I would prefer to see better scoping of both the IAB
> > and IESG activities.
>
> RFC 2850 is certainly not perfect, but I have trouble seeing how
> it could be significantly more precise, given the nature of the IAB's
> job.

I think I should have better phrased it as the relationship (where
it overlaps and where it does not) between what the IAB does and what
the IESG does could be improved.  This comment is related to a
talk I was giving on IETF procedures to some non-IETF people.  They
quoted from 2850 and asked why the IESG seems to do things that are
contained in the IAB charter ... at that point I had great difficulty
trying to explain it.

thanks,
John