Complex Problems

James Kempf kempf at docomolabs-usa.com
Tue Jan 7 08:16:54 CET 2003

Marshall,

Behind every architecture there are a set of assumptions. The assumptions behind
the Internet architecture are largely values based (user choice, openness,
etc.). The assumptions behind architectures done by other standards bodies are
largely business model based (how to maximize revenue for vendors/operators,
etc.). This is not to say that business model based assumptions don't play a
part in decisions in the IETF, they do, but I don't believe they drive the basic
discussions on architecture (or, at least, they have not up until now).

If we allow others to do the basic architecture, then we will end up accepting
their assumptions. I don't think this is a very good idea for the Internet.

            jak