No subject

Natale, Robert C (Bob) bnatale at lucent.com
Mon Jan 6 11:15:44 CET 2003

Hi Margaret,

> But, I don't believe that we can break every complex
> problem into a set of small problems.

I agree entirely with the intent of that statement.
However, the literal fact is that we *can* (not that
we "should") decompose a complex problem into a set
of constituent problems.  Coupled with the natural
tendency of the general make-up of the IETF toward
taking that kind of "analytic" approach, that is more
often than not the course that is taken.  And then,
very often, one or more of those "smaller" problems
loom larger than before and the process is repeated
again.  It's not always obvious and it's not always
problematic...but it is surprising how much WG
effort/output in the end seems focused on such
"smaller" issues (when compared to the "larger"
original overall mission).

> And, there are some complex problems, such as the
> scalability and security of the Internet that I don't
> think we should ignore.

I agree...and those kinds of problems are where
increased proactive leadership (from the IAB, IESG,
and WG chairs) is needed, IMHO.

Cheers,

BobN