18 months

Brian E Carpenter brian at hursley.ibm.com
Mon Jan 6 16:58:47 CET 2003

Seems to me that the correct answer is not an arbitrary time limit
(see arguments advanced by Joel and Andy for example), but strong
follow-up of the agreed milestones. A 19 month milestone isn't a
problem. A *missed* 19 month milestone is a problem, because it can
have knock-on effects on other milestones in the same WG, on other WGs,
and on implementors and users.

That being said, I do agree with Dave that long, over-ambitious WG
milestones are undesirable, and most of them should be significantly
shorter than 18 months.

    Brian