18 months

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Mon Jan 6 09:02:13 CET 2003

--On søndag, januar 05, 2003 09:45:08 -0800 Dave Crocker <dhc at dcrocker.net>
wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Monday, December 23, 2002, 11:42:22 AM, you wrote:
> Joel> The assumption that long-winded working groups inevitably
>
> It would be great if we could design a process that was infinitely
> flexible and could adapt to every possible working group setting.
> However we are unlikely to achieve that.
>
> Therefore, if we argue for or against proposals based on individual
> examples or exceptions, we will make no progress.

Dave,

your statement as written seems to be that we should accept your perception
of a pattern without question, and that counterexamples are uninteresting
because they are exceptions or individual examples.

I would suggest that in the absence of verifiable data, detection of
patterns is an exercise in theology, not engineering.

So I would suggest that when you claim a pattern, you also mention at least
3 specific examples that you think fit the pattern.

We've been talking a lot about "success" and "failure" here, but rarely
saying which projects we consider in each category - probably because we
all know that not everyone agrees on the status of each project.

But unless we stop pussyfooting, I think we cannot engineer for reality.

                     Harald