Minor comments on draft-ietf-problem-statement-00.txt

RJ Atkinson rja at extremenetworks.com
Fri Feb 28 13:16:48 CET 2003

On Friday, Feb 28, 2003, at 11:23 America/Montreal, Scott Bradner wrote:
> to be clear - the IETF *is* a Standards Development Organization (SDO)
> and has been one "forever"
>
> see for example RFC 2691
>
> Scott

That would be "forever" defined as something like "since the 1990s".

The early IETF didn't claim to be a SDO, but instead mostly was a
coordination/cooperation activity among ARPA/DoD-sponsored research
folks
(and later the vendors supporting ARPA/DCA).  I believe Bob Braden or
Dave Clark could come up with the date that ARPA/DCA first asked for
there
to be a formal sorting of standards-track vs non-standards-track RFCs.

If my own memory serves, and I have not checked my records today,
that date was around 1990.

As to when IETF started making the SDO claim externally, I'm not sure,
but it was slightly later -- maybe around 1992 or so.

Ran