Last call results - process document

Melinda Shore mshore at cisco.com
Fri Dec 12 18:04:56 CET 2003

On Friday, December 12, 2003, at 11:48 AM, Alex Conta wrote:
> As a reminder, a document like this, supposed to help address problems
> is not to be exclusive, or selective in problems that it lists, since
> the very purpose of it was to gather and document ALL the problems, as
> they were perceived in IETF.

First, this working group was chartered to produce two documents, one
describing the IETF's problems and the second making recommendations for
a process or set of processes to address the problems identified in the
first document.  The document that just completed WG last call is the
second document.  It documents *no* problems.  Although it does
reference
problems identified in the first document, the problems described in it
must not be considered "normative" - that's not its function.

Second, it was agreed at the outset that given the nature of what
we were trying to do we could neither expect consensus on everything
in the problem description document nor could we expect it to be
comprehensive.  We are asking, however, whether or not we can operate
in the spirit of consensus in getting these documents through last call.
That means distinguishing between things that we might not like but we
can live with on the one hand and things that we think are so profoundly
flawed that they do need to be fixed on the other.

Thanks,

Melinda