objectivity vs. leadership [was Re: Cross-Area Review]

Margaret Wasserman mrw at windriver.com
Sun Apr 27 01:21:47 CEST 2003

Hi Aaron,

At 11:13 AM 4/25/2003 -0700, Aaron Falk wrote:
>In fact, I find the lack of participation from both IESG and IAB
>members on the IETF list in general, and the IPv6 LL debate in
>particular, to be somewhat disheartening.  I think their opinions on
>the Internet architecture with respect to the LL issue are important
>and would like to know where they stand.

If you are talking about the site-local issue in the IPv6 WG,
there has been great IESG/IAB participation.

Several IESG and IAB members expressed opinions during the
debates on this topic in SF, Atlanta and Yokohama.  In
particular, Thomas Narten, Erik Nordmark, Randy Bush, Itojun
Hagino, Patrik Falstrom, Rob Austein, Steve Bellovin, Bill Fenner
and Alex Zinin have all been quite outspoken on this issue over
the past year.

By my count, 12 of the 13 IESG members expressed an opinion
in the recent consensus call (all YES -- deprecate site-locals),
and several IAB members responded, as well (the 4 I can recall
were all for deprecation).

So, IMO, the IESG/IAB members have participated and made their
opinions very clear.

Margaret