Danger to the Net? (Re: My thoughts about the problems of the IETF)

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Mon Apr 21 17:14:23 CEST 2003

--On torsdag, april 17, 2003 16:02:58 -0400 Eric Rosen <erosen at cisco.com>
wrote:

> Scott> if a  AD/IESG pushback  to a WG  for a security  or
> danger-to-the-net Scott> issue can not get WG consus to fix then we are
> in a pile of problem
>
> The problem here  is that "danger-to-the-net" is often  a matter of
> opinion, not  purely a technical  issue.  Some  people wield  the
> "danger-to-the-net" slogan  the way  Nixon  wielded "national  security",
> to try  to shut  down anything they don't approve of for one reason or
> another.

Eric,

at the risk of sounding a call for flamage....

If you have a specific example in mind of some AD saying that something was
a danger to the Net, where there turned out to be IETF consensus that it
was not a danger, and the IETF was right, please share it with us.

AD name, WG name, document name, author name, date and issue.

I am beginning to be as tired of hearing about unnamed ADs wielding unnamed
threats to unnamed document authors over unnamed technical issues for
unnamed political reasons as you must be of feeling the pushback.

                          Harald