My thoughts about the problems of the IETF

James Kempf kempf at docomolabs-usa.com
Thu Apr 17 14:06:56 CEST 2003

John,

> But what happens when an AD or IESG member tells a document editor
> to change x, y & z before a draft can pass IESG review?  Is there
> any way to appeal this?  This is what I think most people have
> been complaining about.
>
> I am not trying to be inflamatory, but generally curious - can
> the WG or document editor pose a challenge to the IESG in such
> a circumstance? Is there an official appeals process?

There are many cases where a variety of equally valid design decisions
could be made to address a particular aspect of a design, it becomes a
matter of engineering judgement (or sometimes even of taste) which to
make.  I think the appeal process was designed for serious and deep
disagreement on fundamental issues, and not cases where the IESG decides
that one design decision is preferable and the WG members another. It's
the wrong tool for that. People should work with the ADs involved to
resolve the issue.

            jak