My thoughts about the problems of the IETF

Margaret Wasserman mrw at windriver.com
Thu Apr 17 16:06:02 CEST 2003

I think that this is all an argument about how we use the
terms "technical" and "process".

In an appeal, I think that anything that concerns technical
issues is a technical appeal, and therefore can't be appealed
to ISOC.

Let's assume, for the moment, that the IAB had come back with
a finding in the Elz appeal that said "Ah ha!  The IPv6 group
didn't check for two interoperable implementations of <foo>."
This would still, IMO, be a technical finding on a technical
appeal...  If we appealed that decision to ISOC, I hope they
would refuse to consider it, as they have no more place in
deciding what constitutes a feature of IPv6 that needs to be
tested for interoperability than they do in deciding if an
IPv6 document is technically correct or sufficiently clear.

Margaret